PMP Exam Passing Score (Part 1): Today I completed two years as a certified PMP. It was on Nov 27, 2007 that I passed my PMP exam. I'm getting a bit nostalgic thinking about the 3 months of gruesome preparation that culminated in the joy that rushed through my body on seeing the magic word "Congratulations" flash on my screen on this very day, two years ago. The exam score report, which I received, clearly indicated the domain-wise percentage score, even though the overall percentage score was not mentioned. Lot of important changes have happened to the exam and the passing score, since then.
This article is the first in the series of articles on PMP Exam Passing Score. In this article, I'll cover the important changes to the passing score in the past 4 years. It's important to give you some background so that you can understand the current situation clearly. So, let's begin in a chronological order.
- In 2004, PMBOK Guide, 3rd Edition was introduced. In July 2005, PMP exam was changed to align with PMBOK Guide, 3rd Edition. At the same time, PMI increased the passing percentage to a staggering 81% (yes, eighty one percent). With the increase in passing percentage, the percentage of candidates clearing the exam in the first attempt dropped dramatically. PMI was quick to react and dropped the passing percentage to a more reasonable 61% (sixty one percent) in Dec 2005.
- Until 2006, the PMP Handbook clearly specified 61% as the passing score, but thereafter, PMI stopped revealing the exact pass percentage, even though, they continued to provide the domain-wise percentage on the score reports.
- The next big change occurred at the end of 2007, when PMI changed how diagnostic results were presented in the score reports. Instead of domain-wise percentages, PMI started using global best practices in examination administration by using proficiency levels. So now they provide proficiency levels like Proficient, Moderately Proficient and Below Proficient by domain, instead of a numerical percentage scored in each domain.
In part 2, I'm going to take on the 5 most popular myths of PMP Exam Passing Score. So, stay tuned.
Full series (3 parts) on PMP Exam Passing Score
- PMP Exam Passing Score - Not a Number Game anymore (you are here)
- 5 Popular Myths about PMP Exam Passing Score
- The Best Kept Secret of the PMP Certification Exam (Passing Score)
Image credit: Flickr / H. Michael Karshis