1. Receive monthly webinars.
2. Watch them anywhere.
3. Claim your PDUs.
Automatically. Comfortably. Reliably. This article is a "Review-cum-How-to" on The PDU Podcast program where I'll show you what this program is, whom it is for, how it works, what its benefits are, and help you decide whether it's right for you.
Friends are Forever, but PMP Certification is not !
As per PMI's Continuing Certification Requirement (CCR), PMP Certification needs to be renewed every 3 years.
How to get my 60 PDUs for PMP Re-Certification?
In the article How to get my 60 PDUs for PMP Re-certification?, I've listed almost everything you need to know for PMP certification renewal. I recommend that you read that article first, if you haven't done so.
In that article, I've mentioned enough sources to get you 60 PDUs in just 1 year, as opposed to PMI's requirement of 60 PDUs in 3 years. But as we all know, there's nothing free in this world. You get what you pay for.
Image Credit: Wikimedia Commons
Free Webinars are like Movie Trailers
Free webinars are somewhat like movie trailers - they entice you, excite you, but ultimately leave you wanting for more.
What is a Podcast?
Now you might not believe me if I tell you that barely 12 month ago, even I didn't know what a "Podcast" is. It sounds similar to an "iPod". So, I thought I must have an iPod or an iPhone to enjoy Podcasts. Luckily, it wasn't so. The name "Podcast" is a bit misleading.
Podcast is a series of digital media files (either audio or video). which are released periodically as "episodes", and downloaded using a special software called "podcatcher". Thankfully, podcatchers don't cost a cent. There are hundreds of podcatchers available for free, for most platforms (Windows, Mac, Linux etc.).
The most commonly used free podcatcher is Apple iTunes. Read the next section to see exactly how Podcasts are downloaded and viewed in iTunes.
How does The PDU Podcast work?
The PDU Podcast is a subscription based program, which allows you to earn PDUs by simply listening to Podcasts on your computer, iPhone, iPod Touch, Blackberry or any similar device. It offers at least 1 PDU every month and a total of 20 PDUs every year. It comes with 2 subscription options - monthly or yearly. The episodes are delivered to you automatically every month. Here are the high level steps involved:
- Pay the subscription fee.
- Open your welcome email.
- Copy the URL mentioned in the welcome email.
- Start iTunes.
- Go to Advanced menu, and select "Subscribe to Podcast...".
- Paste the URL that you copied from the email.
- Click OK. Done.
Free PDU Podcast Sample #1
Effective Meetings for Project Managers
No. 1 Project Management Podcast
The PDU Podcast is brought to us by Cornelius Fichtner, PMP, the same person who brings us The PM Podcast, which has been crowned as the No. 1 Project Management Podcast by the Baseline Magazine.
The PDU Podcast vs. The PM Podcast?
The PDU Podcast is developed and created following PMI Quality Standards (i.e. clearly defined learning goals) in order to deliver an "unlimited" number of Category 3 PDUs. Each of the webinars that is part of The PDU Podcast is entered into the PMI's Continuing Certification Requirements System (CCRS) database so that subscribers can claim their PDUs. The webinars are of a specific duration, so that they can qualify for X number of PDUs to you. You receive a certificate for each webinar. The webinars are produced with the intention to deliver advanced and challenging training to the subscribers. When you claim your PDUs for The PDU Podcast you can be 100% certain that PMI will accept them.
The PM Podcast can best be compared to an "audio blog". The episodes are not produced following the PMI quality standards. They are not added to the CCRS. You don't receive a certificate. The duration of the PM Podcast episodes is not planned. They are as long or as short as they are. The interviews are produced to entertain the listeners with general PM information. The learning experience is secondary. Should you be audited by PMI it is up to you to prove that you have indeed listened to the episodes and earned the PDUs that you claim.
The key benefits of The PDU Podcast
The main benefits of The PDU Podcast are:
- Top Quality Training: You get to benefit from the knowledge of experts from various fields. Since each episode is developed in compliance with PMI Standards, you can be assured of the quality.
- Portability: Not only can you enjoy the episodes on your computer, but also on your iPhone, iPod Touch, Blackberry, and a range of other media players.
- Convenience: No more chasing free webinars and other resources. The PDU Podcast is your one-stop shop for all your PDU requirements.
- Automatic: Sign-up for an yearly subscription with automatic renewal, and put your PMP renewal on auto-pilot.
- Economical: At about $10 per PDU, this is one of the cheaper training options available for project managers.
- 100% Money-back Guarantee: If you are not satisfied with The PDU Podcast for any reason, simply ask for a refund. It is backed by a 100% money-back guarantee, and it is not a gimmick.
Free PDU Podcast Sample #2
Dealing with Difficult People
How do I report PDUs to PMI?
I knew you would ask this question. Therefore, I have put together a complete step-by-step instructions guide for reporting PDUs to PMI. Read PMP Renewal: How to Report PDUs to PMI for details.
Let's play a little Q&A Game here
- What are the subscription options available?
There are 2 subscription options - Monthly and Yearly.
- How much does The PDU Podcast cost?
Monthly Subscription is $19.99. But if you go with an yearly subscription, it is $199.99 (a saving of $40 over monthly subscription).
- What if I don't like the program? Can I opt out and get my money-back?
Yes, as I mentioned above, the program is backed by a 100% money-back guarantee.
- Under which PDU Category do the PDUs, which are offered by The PDU Podcast, belong to?
The PDUs offered by The PDU Podcast belong to Category 3. Note that there's no limit to the number of PDUs that you can earn under Category 3. That means that all your 60 PDUs can be under Category 3.
- Are the PDUs even recognized by PMI?
Absolutely, yes. The publisher, OSP International, is a PMI Registered Education Provider (REP). It means that all their episodes comply with PMI standards. Each episode is registered in PMI's CCRS database. In other words, when you login into the PMI CCRS, you will be able to see the episodes listed under Category 3 courses.
- Who is the presenter of The PDU Podcast?
Each episode features a different presenter, who is an expert in the topic being presented. Cornelius Fichtner, PMP plays the host in all episodes.
- I have only 3 months left in my certification cycle, and I need 20 more PDUs to renew my PMP certification. Can I purchase the entire year's episodes instantly?
Yes, you can purchase any of the available episodes instantly.
Earning the PMP Certification is much more expensive than renewing it !
If you fail to renew the certification, you may have to apply all over again and retake the exam. Spare a moment and think about all the effort that you spent to earn your certification in the first place. You sure do not want to go through that process again.
Free PDU Podcast Sample #3
High Performance PMOs
My Recommendation on The PDU Podcast
The PDU Podcast indeed saves time and hassles, and truly makes renewing the PMP Certification simple. However, there are hundreds of sources of free webinars on the internet that can also help you to renew your PMP Certification. The difference is the same as that between catching your favorite movie on a TV channel (according to the channel's schedule) or buying it on a DVD and enjoying it at your own convenience.
I know that there are people in both camps. So, it's really a matter of choice, and also affordability, to some extent. If you belong to the camp that doesn't mind paying a small fee for quality training, convenience and peace of mind, The PDU Podcast is right for you.
Monthly Subscription Offer: Get 2 PDUs for $1 (one dollar) only
- Opt for the monthly subscription
- On the order page, enter the code ONEDOLLAR into the Gift Certificate box
- Click on the "Validate" link next to the box. The word "Valid" in green will appear
- Check the price at the bottom: You now pay $1.00 for your first month instead of $19.99
- Complete the order form and click the Order Now button
I'm quite impressed with the quality of this program and have decided to endorse it. It means that if you subscribe to this program based on my recommendation, you'll be helping me maintain this website and allow me to bring more useful content to you.