A simple Google search on “PMP Online Training” or “PMP Study Guide” returns in excess of 3 million results. To filter out the best PMP Study Material from the vast ocean of information is a daunting task for anyone setting out to achieve PMP credentials. I’ve gone through this process the hard-way and I know that it takes several weeks or even months of rummaging through all the information, before one can actually start the exam preparation. With this article, I aim to help PMP aspirants jump-start their exam preparation and provide them a reliable source for all the resources required to pass the PMP exam.
Table of Contents
- Free Mock Exams, Sample Questions and Test Simulators
- Resources that qualify for 35 Contact Hours
- All PMP Study Guides
- Top PMP Exam Prep Books with Reviews
- Exam Simulators
- More Exam Preparation Resources
- iPhone / iPad Apps
- Android Apps
- Official PMI Documents
- PMP Application Links & Documents
- PMP Exam Online Forums
- Good Study Notes & Tips
- Selected Lessons Learned
- Articles on the Value of PMP Certification
- Other Free Resources
Free Mock Exams, Sample Questions and Test Simulators
PMP Courses that qualify for 35 Contact Hours / PDU
- Project Management PrepCast for PMBOK Fifth Edition (Video Podcast) - USD 199.99
The new PM PrepCast is the first and only 35 hour long PMP® Video Workshop. It comes with 100% Money-back guarantee. In my opinion, this is the best way to earn 35 Contact Hours, which you need to qualify for the PMP Exam. I have tried this personally and highly recommend it. Read my complete review here.
- BrainBOK - PMP and CAPM Exam Prep Simplified! - USD 99.99
BrainBOK is an online application designed to help project managers achieve PMP and CAPM certifications more efficiently. With a collection of tools such as ITTO Explorer, exam simulator, flashcards, quizzes and more, it's the Swiss-army knife of PMP and CAPM exam preparation. It is the best tool to get your head around the ITTOs, and has the best collection of flashcards for the PMP and CAPM exams. You simply cannot go wrong with this tool.
All PMP Study Guides
Best PMP Study Guide (Reviews)
- A Guide to the Project Management Body of Knowledge, 5th Edition (PMBOK Guide) - by Project Management Institute (PMI) is a project management guide, and an internationally recognized standard that provides the fundamentals of project management as they apply to a wide range of projects, including construction, software, engineering, automotive, etc. It is the "official" Project Management guide published by PMI. PMP Exam is based on the 5th edition of this guide. It is the 'bible' of Project Management and a must-have for all PMPs and PMP aspirants.
- PMP Exam Prep, 8th Edition UPDATED - by Rita Mulcahy is arguably the most popular book for PMP Exam preparation. I've personally used it and highly recommend it for all PMP aspirants. In one of the surveys we conducted in the past, more than 60% respondents recommended this book for PMP exam preparation. Read 10 Reasons to Buy Rita Mulcahy's PMP Exam Prep Book for more details.
- Head First PMP: A Brain-Friendly Guide to Passing the Project Management Professional Exam - If you want to learn the fun way, Head First PMP is the right guide for you. This book takes a radical approach of teaching and uses lots and lots of visual cues to present the material. I did not purchase this book for my preparation, but I had a chance to review this book and compare it with Rita Mulcahy's PMP Exam Prep after passing my exam. Read Head First PMP vs. Rita Mulcahy's PMP Exam Prep for more details.
- The PMP Exam: How to Pass on Your First Try - by Andy Crowe is the 3rd most popular PMP exam prep guide after Rita Mulcahy and Head First's book. I've NOT read the book but have read some good reviews. It has also received excellent ratings on Amazon. People who took the exam said that the questions in this book were probably the closest to the real exam. The book includes one full length practice exam, but as a bonus, it provides online access to an additional full-length practice exam for 1 week.
- PMP: Project Management Professional Exam Study Guide, Includes Audio CD - by Kim Heldman - Prepare for the latest PMP certification exam with this new edition of the Kim Heldman's PMP Exam Study Guide, which covers all essential procedures and concepts from PMBOK® Guide, Fifth Edition. The book also prepares you for the Certified Associate in Project Management (CAPM®) exam. Companion CD-ROM features a test engine of practice questions, electronic flashcards, and two hours of audio. The bonus material makes it a really good value for money.
- EdWel - PMP Exam Prep Book (FREE) is probably the best FREE PMP exam prep guide that you can find. It is a complete study guide with 300 sample questions and tons of exercises throughout the book.
PM Exam Simulator - 1800 Questions (online)
PM Exam Simulator is a new PMP exam simulator from the publisher of the famous PM Prepcast. It consists of 9 full length 200-question exams including one exam for ITTO questions. It has the good simulator engine and the quality of questions is also among the better ones that I've tested. The price is $99.99 for 3 month unlimited 24x7 access. It comes with a 2-week money back guarantee. Apart from this, the publisher also offers a free 3-day trial account for you to feel extremely assured with your purchase.
Simplilearn PMP Exams - 1000 Questions (online)
Simplilearn is another good PMP exam simulator. It comes with a free 200-question full-length exam for you to evaluate the program before purchasing it. If you are satisfied, you can purchase 1/2/3/4 additional full-length exams at $10-$15 each. They have posted several student testimonials on their site, and interestingly, all testimonials are linked to the real LinkedIn profile of the students. That's neat. Overall, Simplilearn is a good value for money.
More Exam Preparation Resources
- PMP Formula Study Guide
PMP Formula Study Guide is a reasonably priced, unique product that addresses a very crucial aspect of PMP exam - the formulas. It includes 100+ formula-related sample questions. The real value comes from having all the accurate (formula related) information, from an authentic source, in a neat little package. It pretty much covers all the formulas that you need to know for the exam and can save you tens of hours of valuable time. Read my complete review here.
- Q & As for the PMBOK Guide - by Frank T.
Q & As for the PMBOK Guide is entirely based on the contents of the PMBOK Guide. It has 200 questions. It's an invaluable tool to test your knowledge on the terms, concepts, process inputs, outputs, tools and techiques (ITTO) from the PMBOK.
iPhone /iPad Apps
These are some of the noteworthy apps for iPhone / iPad on the Apple App Store:
- PMP Exam Prep Questions by Global Knowledge
- PMP Exam Trainer
These are some of the noteworthy apps for Android:
- PMP Exam by Oliver Lehmann (550 questions)
Official PMI Documents
- PMP Handbook
- PMP Sample Questions from PMI (a huge collection of 3 questions!)
- PMI Code of Ethics and Professional Conduct
- PMI Certification FAQ
- PMI's Online Certification System (for online submission of PMP application)
- PMP Application Audit FAQs (proactively prepare for the audit)
PMP Exam Online Forums
If you are preparing for the PMP Certification exam, I highly recommend that you join a selected few online PMP forums for learning, sharing and clarifying project management concepts. Refer to my list of selected online forums for PMP exam prep.
Good Study Notes & Tips
- PMP Study Notes - live collection of articles on this blog
- Benoit Aumar's Study Notes
- Sridhar Peddisetty's Study Notes on PMP: 298 points; based on PMBOK 3rd Ed
- Free Tips and Tricks from Rita Mulcahy
Selected Lessons Learned
Articles on the Value of PMP Certification
Other Free Resources
- PMP Certification Tips (more than 450 useful links)
- Google Book Search: Free preview for most of the PMP books
- PMP: Wikipedia
- EasyPMP: PMP Crossword Puzzle
- Quizlet: PMP Flashcards and Study Tools
Please help me keep this page up to date. If you find a broken link or if you are familiar with other useful resources which are not listed here, please let me know by posting your comments below. With your feedback and contribution, I hope to build a comprehensive knowledge base of PMP Exam resources for all PMP aspirants.
Thanks for reading, and your support.